In America, we’ve promised that hard work and ambition will be met with equality of opportunity. The reality is that we have a quiet crisis on our hands. Despite 1.2 million low-income or first-generation students enrolling in college each year, only one in four will attain a strong first job or enroll in graduate school upon graduating.
In partnership with universities and employers, the Braven Accelerator empowers promising young people on their path to college graduation, meaningful careers, and lives of impact. Alongside educational institutions, Braven provides a scalable model to discover, develop, and connect extraordinary, diverse, and driven young people to high-quality skill building, opportunities, and networks. From the Accelerator will come a generation of leaders as diverse as our future demands.
To date, 69% of Braven’s Fellows have landed a strong job or quality outcome within 6 months of graduation, as compared with the average of 54% for all students nationally. Braven Fellows outpace their peers in internship attainment, non-cognitive skill growth, and college persistence. Braven currently operates in Newark, NJ, Chicago, IL, and San Jose, CA, and is launching in New York City. We aim to become the nation’s leading accelerator of diverse talent, putting 100,000 emerging leaders on the pathway to college completion and economic mobility. Our work is highly data-driven around the outcomes of college graduation; workforce readiness skills-based proficiency; employment in a high impact role within six months of graduation.
We believe Braven is a solution and we are on a mission to scale it, equalizing access to the American Dream.
Braven is seeking a Grant Accountant/Analyst as a Contracted role to join us remotely for a temporary assignment of roughly 6 months.
To be successful at Braven, on the Finance Team, and in this role, you must demonstrate Braven’s core values, be comfortable with ambiguity and constant evolution, and welcome constant feedback and learning. Do you have a strong bias to action and enjoy making the complex simple all while driving and owning all aspects of your projects from conception to completion? Come join us in shaping the next generation of leaders!
- Lay the foundation for a best-in-class grants management shop that sets the organization up for success in the area of accounting for grants and donor-restricted funds.
- Develop, implement, and maintain an efficient, effective, and repeatable process for grant tracking - revenue recognition, expense allocations, and recurring reconciliations from Intacct to Salesforce.
- Create an efficient, effective, and repeatable tracking system for unrestricted and donor-restricted net assets.
- Own the day-to-day operations related to grant tracking and reporting, with flexibility, autonomy, and a keen sense of problem-solving.
- Assess and record revenue in accordance with not-for-profit revenue recognition accounting standards (contribution vs exchange transactions; restricted vs unrestricted; conditional vs unconditional).
- Reconcile accounting system (Intacct) to donor tracking system (Salesforce) and understand, document, and communicate reconciling items and action steps.
- Work closely with External Affairs team members and other key stakeholders to stay up-to-date on grant agreements and reporting expectations.
- Track and record expense transactions related to restricted grant funding.
- Prepare and analyze grant reporting requested by internal and external parties and analyze information.
- Prepare new and renewal budgets for grant proposals in collaboration with other team members.
- Prepare and post journal entries for donor-restricted transactions and advise the Finance team when recurring entries and payroll allocations should be updated.
- Monitor and review open receivables and identify necessary next steps to maintain clean and accurate balances.
- Provide monthly reporting of budget to actual expenditures and remaining funds for all grants to key internal and external stakeholders.
- All other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in nonprofit grant management (government grant experience not required)
- 4+ years accounting experience.
- Experience with non-profit accounting systems and fund accounting.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and principles.
- Experience in Sage Intacct a plus (or if not, experience with similar software)
- Knowledge of Salesforce a plus.
- Extensive computer experience including advanced Excel skills and accounting software.
- Strong appetite to architect systems and processes that handle complex nonprofit accounting transactions, with comfort in taking initiative and acting autonomously.
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, remote working environment with ability to effectively use technology for collaboration. (Zoom meetings, Asana, Slack, etc)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and attention to detail for executing nonprofit accounting, analytics, system navigation, grant reporting, and general accounting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills. Cross-functional coordination and communication is required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, analyses, budgets and projections.
- Ability to develop and manage action plans and projects and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, with strict deadlines.
- Ability to identify inefficiencies and propose and implement solutions.
- Professional and highly ethical.
The rate for this position depends on your prior work experience. Please be advised, you will have an opportunity to discuss rates in more detail after you begin the application process.
Braven is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor. We encourage talented individuals of all backgrounds to apply.